Student Support on Research Grants
Engineering faculty at UD, WSU, AFIT, OSU, and UC who are submitting collaborative proposals for sponsored research are encouraged to solicit a letter of commitment from DAGSI for support of graduate students participating on the project. DAGSI will make this cost sharing opportunity available subject to the following criteria:
- Faculty in the graduate schools of engineering at DAGSI partners (UD, WSU, and AFIT) and affiliates (OSU, UC) may participate.
- A minimum of two institutions must collaborate on the research project. At least one institution must be a DAGSI partner (UD, WSU, or AFIT).
- Support is provided only for graduate student tuition and/or stipends.
- The maximum time commitment is 3 years.
- DAGSIís contribution will not exceed 20% of the total grant award.
- The level of DAGSIís commitment must be matched or exceeded by the participating institutions.
- DAGSIís maximum commitment to each partner on a proposal is proportional to that partnerís share of the total award.
- DAGSIís maximum annual award per institution for each grant is $50,000.
- A Principal Investigator may receive DAGSI cost share support on only one active project at a time. Participation in the Joint AFRL/DAGSI research program does not preclude participation in this program.
- Lead institutions are limited to three pending proposals at any one time. The DAGSI Director reserves the right to deny consideration of a request if that limit has been reached. In rare and exceptional cases, the DAGSI Executive Committee may consider waivers to this limit.
- A brief annual report, including information about the student, work performed, and milestones achieved must be submitted to DAGSI during the term of the project. DAGSI will cross-check data with the Registrarís Office to ensure consistency.
- Commitments are limited by the availability of funds. The Director reserves the right to refuse new requests for budgetary reasons.
Requests should be submitted to the DAGSI Director in writing at least three weeks prior to the proposal deadline. The letter should clearly demonstrate that all criteria are met. A copy of the grant proposal should accompany the letter. The letter must be signed by the Principal Investigator and an authorized university representative.
Requests will be prescreened by the Director and reviewed by DAGSIís RESCAP (Research, Coordination, and Promotion) Committee. Final approval will be made by the Executive Committee. Review criteria, in addition to those outlined above, will include:
Relevance to local industry, including the Air Force
Potential benefit to the state of Ohio
Potential resource leverage
Please contact DAGSI directly with any questions.