Before applying, all interested students and faculty must familiarize themselves with the Program Rules and Requirements as well as the Eligibility Criteria. Failure to adhere to program rules or eligibility criteria will result in disqualification of the application or cancellation of the project.
All new applicants must follow the process as outlined below. For renewals, see section below.
An application for the AFRL/DAGSI Ohio Student-Faculty Research Program is comprised of the following documents:
The complete application package, with all required documents, must be received by DAGSI no later than 5:00 pm EST , January 31, 2008.
To access the student and faculty application forms, as well as the signature form, click on the link at the bottom of this page and follow the instructions. The application forms should be completed electronically, printed, and sent along with the research proposal, the signature form, and other supporting materials.
The following documents must be provided along with the application forms.
· No more than 6 text pages (one-inch margins all around; 12 point font; single spaced)
· No more than 5 additional pages for graphics, tables, charts, references/literature citations, and/or appendices
· The proposal must include: statement of the problem; background and relevance to previous work; general methodology and procedure to be followed; expected results and their significance and application; outline of anticipated efforts beyond year 1 (for Ph.D.-level projects only); potential impact on Air Force and/or Ohio economy; and literature citations where appropriate. Any anticipated special requirements necessary to conduct the research (e.g. special equipment, computer resources, etc.) should be indicated.
· Note: AFRL and DAGSI expect the bulk of the research to be done during the summer months of 2007. If the full 8 weeks required by the student cannot be done during the summer, the proposal must include a plan that outlines how and when the required time will be accumulated. The research MUST be front-loaded in the award year. DAGSI will not pay tuition for a student in academic year 2007/2008 unless the research is underway by October 1, 2007.
* Any single proposal addressing two overlapping research topics must be approved by the AFRL sponsor of each topic. The sponsors must sign a statement agreeing to the proposed combination of research topics.
Each student and each faculty applicant may pursue, together or separately, up to two research opportunities. A student may hold one award only. A faculty member may receive one or two awards in a given cycle but may hold no more than three awards (new award(s) plus renewal(s)) in total at any one time. Each proposal should address a single research topic UNLESS topic combination has been approved by AFRL. Applicants should clearly indicate the topic title and number on the proposal.
The participating AFRL Directorates will review the applications, and each directorate will rank order the proposals submitted for its areas of research. A joint committee of AFRL and DAGSI leaders will make the final award decisions. Selection will be based on:
The key criteria for renewal decisions are the student’s academic standing (in general, a minimum GPA of 3.0) and progress on the research (positive feedback from the AFRL sponsor and the relevant Directorate).
Ph.D. students in good academic standing who are making good progress on the research and receive positive feedback from AFRL stand an excellent chance of renewal. If a Ph.D.-level award is renewed, all components of the award (stipend for student and faculty, tuition, and miscellaneous expenses) will be renewed. Note that the maximum number of years for DAGSI support at the Ph.D. level across all programs is three. For example, a student holding a DAGSI scholarship for one year prior to the start of his/her AFRL/DAGSI fellowship could receive at most one renewal for a total of two years in the AFRL/DAGSI program.
M.S. awards generally are considered to be one-year awards. However, if a student can identify no other means of support, renewal of STUDENT TUITION ONLY (no student or faculty stipend or new miscellaneous expenses; carryover of unused miscellaneous expense money from year 1 is allowed) for a partial or full academic year may be considered. In his/her section of the application, the participating faculty member should include an explanation of why no tuition waiver or other sources of funding are available. If the M.S. student is seeking renewal because he/she is entering a Ph.D. program and continuing the research at the doctoral level, please indicate that in the application. Note that DAGSI will not support a particular project for more than three years, so a student transitioning from the M.S. to the Ph.D. on the same project would get no more than three years’ support in total.
Research teams seeking renewal of their fellowship award must fill out the “Application for Fellowship Renewal.” There are three sections: student information; faculty assessment; and AFRL research sponsor feedback and recommendation. All three sections must be submitted to the DAGSI office no later than 5 pm on the date listed in the current Program Schedule. The student and faculty sections should be submitted together, and the AFRL sponsor section may be included or submitted separately if time or privacy is an issue. Submissions may be emailed (), faxed (937-781-4005), mailed (DAGSI; 3155 Research Blvd. Ste. 205; Kettering OH 45420), or hand delivered.
DAGSI will inform AFRL of this renewal process. However, it is the responsibility of the participating student and faculty to ensure that the AFRL sponsor completes his/her section and submits it on time. Endorsement of the AFRL sponsor and his/her Technical Directorate is critical to the outcome of the renewal decision.
Please contact DAGSI with any questions about this process.
Renewal of Existing Award Application
Feedback From for AFRL Sponsors
Reporting Requirements / Research Program General Information / Research Program Schedule / Research Program Topics / Application Form and Guidelines